Somewhere between the Canadian border and Dawson City, on the Top of the World Highway, my muffler got knocked lose. We rolled into Dawson City growling into the nearest mechanic......who couldn't look at it for at least two to three days. So, one bungie cord later, we growled on to stay at one of the roadside Yukon Camp Sites on our way back to Whitehorse. We slipped in another quick soak at Takhini Hot Springs and stopped in at Canadian Tire for an inspection and to find out if it was fixable. It was! An hour later we were back on our way.
Marsh Lake was the next stop. These are beautiful sites on the lake. Yukon camping has quickly become our favourite camping. The sites are all the same price ($12) and they always have the same things; free firewood and a fire ring, clean and vented outhouses (after 3weeks, we've become connoisseurs of outdoor plumbing) and private beautiful sites. We made friends with our Alaskan neighbours (you have to leave Alaska to meet real Alaskans) and snuck in a paddle. I managed to lose a lens cap.....well I could see it, it just happen to be at the bottom of Marsh Lake and although I was tempted to swim for it.....I abandoned it. At dusk we had another sneaky fox visitor but our neighbours had it climb up onto their truck in the night and try to break into their storage box. They are so bold in the Yukon.
The next morning marked our last moments in the Yukon. Its a beautiful place and I kept having flashes of The Cremation of Sam McGee as I'd pass markers like Lake LaBarge or see the firebox in the S S Klondike. Emma and I tended to focus on the natural elements of places (the mountains, the lakes, the hot springs) and we missed many of the historic tours due to time constraints. Whitehorse is an amazing city, maintaining a balance between history and modern amenities in a beautiful setting. I would love to be able to spend more time exploring the lakes and mountain regions. One day I'll make it to Tuktoyaktuk on the Dempster Highway and dip my toes in the Arctic Ocean too.
No comments:
Post a Comment